Blackberry and pear cobbler
Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic blackberry and pear cobbler recipe is the perfect Sunday dessert. Two delicious tastes of autumn combine to make this delicious pud. This hearty pud serves 5 people and will take 1hr to prepare and cook. The tangy blackberry and the soft pear works wonders together in this classic, sweet cobbler recipe. Serve warm with custard, cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 500g (1lb) blackberries
- 60g (2oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- ½ level tsp mixed spice
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- 60g (2oz) butter, chilled
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 100ml (3½fl oz) buttermilk
- 1 level tbsp golden granulated sugar
- 1.25 litre (2 pint) ovenproof dish, buttered
You can top the fruit filling with a layer of ready-made pastry or crumble if you fancy something different
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the prepared pears and blackberries into the dish. Sprinkle with the sugar, cornflour and mixed spice, and gently mix together.
- To make the cobbler: Put the flour into a food processor with small chunks of butter and pulse for a few seconds to form crumbs. Add the sugar and buttermilk and whizz briefly to make a soft dough.
- Pull off clumps of the dough and put them on the fruit but don’t cover it completely. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake for 35-40 mins until the fruit is tender and cobbler golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 10.5g
- Saturates 6.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.