Kerry's raspberry and white chocolate cupcakes
Prep time:(not including chilling time for the chocolate hearts)
Cooking time:(plus 20-30 mins for the raspberry jam)
Skill level: Bit of effort
When we saw goodtoknow user Kerry's picture of these raspberry cupcakes on Facebook, we just had to get the recipe! Learn how to make the little cakes with white chocolate icing, homemade raspberry jam and a handmade heart on top
IngredientsBasic cupcake ingredients:
- 170g/6oz of margarine or butter
- 170g/6oz caster sugar
- 170g/6oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- 170g/6oz caster sugar
- 3tbs water
- 300g/10oz white cooking chocolate
- 140g/5oz marg
- 225g/8oz icing sugar
- 1-2tbsp of milk
- 10/12-hole muffin tin
- 10 cupcake cases
- heart-shaped mould
If there is any jam left over, place in sterilized jar. This can be done by putting a jar and lid in the oven or in boiling water for 5 mins. Eat the next day on toast or porridge.
- For the raspberry jam: In a medium saucepan, add the raspberries, sugar and water and gradually bring to the boil over a low-medium heat until the sugar has melted and the raspberries start to soften. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 mins. After 20 mins taste and if the jam is still bitter add slightly more sugar. No jam sugar is required because raspberries have a high pectin level and after about 20-30 mins the jam should coat the back of a wooden spoon and is ready. The jam can also be tested by putting a little bit in the fridge to see if it sets - if it doesn't, continue cooking the jam until it does.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 10 cupcake cases.
- For the cupcakes: In a large mixing bowl mix together the margarine/butter and sugar until the sugar has melted.
- In a separate jug, crack the eggs and gently whisk with a fork.
- Gradually fold in the flour and egg with the margarine/butter and sugar mixture and stir, but don't over-mix.
- Add 2tbsp of the jam mixture to the cupcake mixture to flavour and fold in.
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 10 mins then rotate the cake tin and bake or another 5 mins. Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- For the buttercream: In a large, clean mixing bowl add the margarine/butter and sieve in the icing sugar then mix until smooth and lump free.
- For the chocolate hearts: Fill a large saucepan with hot water and sit a large bowl on top. Add the white chocolate to the bowl and mix until the chocolate is melted.
- Use a mini heart-shaped mould and use a little of the white chocolate to fill the moulds and put in fridge to set.
- For the white chocolate buttercream icing: Add the rest of the melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, add the milk and stir until combined. Depending on the constitency you want, you may need to add more icing sugar, particularly if you wish to use a piping bag to pipe the buttercream icing onto the cupcakes or you could use a spatula to spread the icing on.
- Place 1tsp of raspberry jam on top of the buttercream and finish with a heart-shaped chocolate decoration.