Apple and cinnamon crumble
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious apple and cinnamon crumble recipe is simple and delicious. The combination of cinnamon and apple work wonders together. Sweet apples simmered in brandy and topped with a crunchy crumble. This pud is so easy to put together, it's the perfect dessert for a lazy autumn weekend. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 55 mins to prepare and cook. It's the perfect posh apple crumble that your whole family can enjoy.
- 4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
- 90g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Calvados (apple brandy)
- 60g (2oz) stem ginger, drained and chopped
- 1 level tbsp thickening granules
- For the base and topping:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 75g (2½oz) butter, chilled
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 60g (2oz) walnut halves or pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup (from the jar of stem ginger)
- 4 walnut halves, to decorate, optional
- 4 x 10cm (4in) metal rings, on a buttered baking tray
Substitute the plain flour for wholemeal flour for added flavour and fibre.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the prepared apples, sugar and Calvados into a pan, cover and cook gently for 7 mins until the fruit is tender. Rest a sieve over a large jug, tip the apples into the sieve and leave them to drain and cool slightly.
- To make the base and topping: Put the flour and small chunks of butter into a food processor and pulse to form crumbs. Add cinnamon, sugar and walnuts and whizz to form coarse crumbs.
- Tip the mixture out into a bowl, then put half back into the food processor. Set aside the rest. Add the ginger syrup to the crumble in the food processor and whizz to combine.
- Press a quarter of this mixture into each metal ring to cover the base. Add the ginger to the cooked apples and divide between each base.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the top. Bake for 15 mins, then top each one with a walnut half, if you like, and bake for more mins until the crumbles are pale golden.
- Heat the reserved apple syrup with the thickening granules until thickened, smooth and clear. Transfer each crumble to a plate, lift the ring off and spoon the apple syrup over or around the puddings.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 657(kcal)
- Fat 28.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.