Plum upside-down cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Fancy trying something a little bit different? Serve these delicious plum cupcakes warm with runny honey for a new idea for dessert
IngredientsIngredients for the base
- 40g light brown sugar
- 40g unsalted butter
- 10 small plums sliced
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g dark muscovado sugar
- 80g self-raising flour and 20g cornflour, sifted together
- 2 eggs
- 40g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps milk, room temperature
- Runny honey
- Deep muffin pan
You can serve these cupcakes in individual ramekins to serve them as desserts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3
- To make the base: Mix the sugar and butter, then spread evenly into the bottoms of the muffin trays.
- De-stone and slice the plums and arrange onto the top of the butter and sugar mix.
- To make the cakes: Beat the sugar and butter for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy then add 1 egg and a half of the sifted flour and beat. Repeat with the other egg and the remaining flour. Add the milk and beat again then fold in the lemon zest and ground almonds.
- Divide the mixture equally between the muffin trays and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 30 minutes to set. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cakes and placing a cooling rack over the top of the muffin tray to turn the cakes out on the rack.
- Serve warm with some runny honey.