Beans and sausage bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
A hearty sausage bake with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, caramelised sauce. Delicious on its own or with bread.
- 300g chorizo-style pork chipolata sausages (pinch, twist and cut into two small sausages)
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 500ml passatta
- 1tbsp black treacle
- 2tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g can flageolet beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
Replace any can of beans with your favourite beans like chickpeas, black eyed peas or even baked beans.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the sausages, onion and garlic. Heat gently until the sausages begin to brown and the onions soften slightly.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer gently with a lid on for about 30 mins, alternatively transfer to a preheated oven for 30-40 mins on 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
- Serve with hunks of crusty bread.