Chocolate and banana crumble muffins
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar
- 100ml (31/2fl oz) light and mild olive oil
- 300ml (1/2 pint) soured cream
- 100g (31/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 12-hole muffin tin, lined with paper muffin cases
If you're allergic to eggs, add 1/2 level teaspoon baking powder and 4 tablespoons milk, with the oil and cream and leave out the eggs
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Sieve the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Stir in the olive oil, soured cream and half of the chocolate. The mixture will form into little clumps. Spoon 1/3 of this crumbly mixture into another bowl, add the rest of the chocolate to this portion and set aside.
- Stir the eggs and banana into the larger quantity of muffin mixture. Mix until just combined. Use an ice-cream scoop to divide the muffin mixture between the cake cases.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbly mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until well-risen and just firm. Serve warm or cold.
- To freeze: Pack the cold muffins in a freezer bag. Use within 1 month. Defrost at room temperature for 2 hours.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.