Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Looking for an easy Halloween canape? Then try these witches' broomsticks - a twist on the traditional cheese straw. They are a great Halloween treat or great for a seasonal party, especially as a healthier option at kid's parties - instead of just loads of chocolate and sweets! If you have any leftovers (although we doubt you will) then we also love serving these witches broomsticks with winter vegetable soups, like croutons but tastier!
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) butter, chilled and cubed
- 90g (3oz) double Gloucester cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
Why not serve your witches' broomsticks with our bloody mary soup.
- Put the flour and butter into a food processor. Put the lid on and whizz for about 20 seconds, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and milk and whizz again for about 30 seconds, until it forms a ball. Tip out, wrap in cling film and pop in the freezer for 15 mins to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick Teflon or 2 sheets of baking parchment. Use a rolling pin, flatten the dough and then roll out to a rectangle, about 1cm (½in) thick. Cut 18 stick shapes from the pastry, each about 10cm (4in) long and 5mm (¼in) wide. Using a palette knife, gently ease them on to a baking tray. Make about half a dozen cuts to form the “brush” of each broomstick.
- Mix the Marmite with 1 tsp hot water and brush over the brooms to glaze, sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 10 mins or until crisp and golden brown. Serve warm with soup or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 429(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.