Mushroom pasta bake
For a quicker version of bechamel sauce, replace the butter and flour with 120g cream cheese.
IngredientsFor the mushroom pasta bake:
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150ml white wine
- 3tbsp soy sauce (such as Kikkoman Soy Sauce)
- 60g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 20g breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped for serving
- 300g farfalle pasta
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 6.
- In a medium frying pan, gently fry the onion along with the garlic and thyme in some oil for 3-4 mins over a medium heat, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan fry the mushrooms over a very high heat until golden, add the white wine and 2tbsp of soy sauce and reduce by half. Reduce the heat then return the onions to the pan and keep warm.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions in a large pan of boiling water along with 1tbsp soy sauce, then drain and set the pasta aside.
- Meanwhile for the bechamel sauce: in a medium saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat, then whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 mins. Gradually pour in the milk and continue whisking until thickened and smooth. Season with 1tbsp soy sauce, mustard and a good twisting of black pepper.
- Pour the sauce into the mushroom pan and combine with 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese and the cooked pasta.
- Transfer the pasta into a baking dish and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins, serve and garnish with some flat-leaf parsley.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 440(kcal)
- Fat 18.6g
- Saturates 10.8g
- Sugars 8.7g
- Salt 4.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.