Pumpkin and maple cupcakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
These little jack-o'-lantern cakes with real pumpkin in them, make sweet trick-or-treat gifts on Halloween. Get the kids to help you decorate them.
IngredientsFor the pumpkin and maple cupcakes:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp ginger
- ½tsp nutmeg
- ½tsp allspice
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼tsp baking soda
- ¼tsp salt
- 300g caster sugar
- 170g pureed pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 60g butter, softened
- 60g cream cheese, softened
- 240g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Dark green, black and orange food colourings
Find more Halloween party ideas and recipes.
- For the pumpkin and maple cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour with the spices, baking powder, soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl mix together the sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and maple syrup.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners, filling ¾ of the way and bake for 18 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the cream cheese frosting: In a large, clean mixing bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth, gradually add the icing sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla until combined.
- Place 2 scoops of the frosting into a separate bowl and colour with dark green food colouring.
- Place 1 scoop into another bowl and colour with black food colouring.
- Colour the remainder orange. Use the orange to pipe a pumpkin design around each cupcake.
- Use the green to pipe the pumpkin stalks and the black to pipe the pumpkin face.