Halloween fairy cakes
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Total time:(add on approx 30 mins for decorating)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Spider's webs, monsters and vampires - make these Halloween fairy cakes as scary as you dare using writing icing and sweets. The kids are going to love baking, decorating and eating these spooky cakes. This recipe makes 12 fairy cakes and will take around 40 mins to make and bake. Get creative with your designs, from spooky spiders to gruesome ghosts. Perfect for Halloween parties.
IngredientsFor the scary fairy cakes:
- 110g (4oz) butter or margarine, softened
- 110g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 110g (4oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 15g cocoa powder
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- Ready-to-use fairy cake icing in white and yellow (like Dr. Oetker Ready to Use Fairy Cake Icing)
- Writing icing in various colours (we used black, red and green)
- Mini, mini marshmallows
- Chocolate stars
- 12-hole fairy cake baking tray
- 12 fairy cake cases
Baking tip: Use a metal spoon rather than a wooden spoon (which retains moisture) to mix cake ingredients together at the end. Cut and fold the mixture with your metal spoon to keep the air in your mixture. Never beat at this stage.
- For the scary fairy cakes: Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a 12-hole fairy cake baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour and cocoa powder with a large metal spoon.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 mins until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove the fairy cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- For the decoration: Choose your desired colour of fairy cake icing, massage the pouch for 1 min to loosen the icing, then snip the corner off the pouch and pour a small amount of icing over each cake. Using a knife, spread the icing thickly over the fairy cakes.
- Decorate the cakes using the writing icing and sprinkles to make scary faces. Make them as scary as you dare!