Halloween pumpkin soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This nutritious pumpkin and turkey soup makes a tasty family meal any day of the week, but you can add a spider's web on top for Halloween.
IngredientsFor the pumpkin soup:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1kg pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-3cm chunks
- 1tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 700ml chicken stock, made using stock cubes
- 150g pack smoked turkey rashers, finely chopped
- Natural yogurt
- Cocktail stick
For a spider's web effect on the soup, make a spiral from natural yoghurt using a teaspoon, and then drag it through with a cocktail stick starting each time from the centre to the outside.
- Place the oil and onions in a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add in the pumpkin or squash and cook for a further 6 - 8 mins until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 30 secs before adding in the garlic and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins until the pumpkin or squash is tender.
- Whizz up the soup with a hand-held blender, food processor or liquidiser until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pan, add the chopped turkey rashers, and simmer for 2 - 3 mins until the turkey is cooked through and season well.
- Serve in 4 bowls or in a cooking pot with a spider's web design on top - see our tip above. This soup goes perfectly with crusty bread.