Mellow-spiced chicken and chickpeas
- 8 chicken thighs, skin still on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medi onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2-4 fat cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp each cumin and coriander seeds and paprika
- 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 300ml (Ĺ pint) hot chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Bread, to serve
Add more yogurt for a lighter, thinner sauce.
- Trim any excess fat off the chicken thighs. Season the meat. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, pack in the thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 8-10 mins until the skin is a good golden colour. Turn them over and cook for another 5 mins. Take out with tongs and set aside on a plate. Drain off all but about 1 tbsp fat from the pan.
- Add the onion wedges and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 mins. Meanwhile, roughly grind the spices in a pestle and mortar. Stir them into the pan and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas and stock. Bring to the boil, put the chicken thighs back in, skin-side up, and simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 mins until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in spoonfuls of Greek yogurt and let it warm through, but donít allow it to boil. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve hot with bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 309(kcal)
- Saturates 12.0g
- Salt 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.