Cardamom and chilli chocolate tart
- 1 round of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed (taken from Jus-Rol 450g pack)
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 10 green cardamom pods
- ¼-½ level tsp chilli powder
- Pinch of salt
- 300ml pot double cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 200g bar dark chocolate
- 100g bar Belgian milk chocolate
- Single cream or crème fraîche, to serve
- 23-25cm (9-10in) fluted flan tin
- Bakewell paper and baking beans
Use 1 teaspoon ground cardamom if you don’t have the pods, but the flavour isn’t quite as intense.
- Use the pastry sheet to line the tart tin. Trim the top edge. Prick the base and chill the case in the freezer for 10 mins, while the oven heats up to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up, too.
- Fill the pastry case with Bakewell paper and baking beans. Put it on the hot baking sheet and bake, near the bottom of the oven, for 20 mins.
- Take out the paper and beans. Brush the pastry base with a little of the beaten egg to be used in the filling and put it back in the oven for 5 mins. Turn the oven temperature down to Gas Mark 2 or 150°C.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling: Lightly crush the cardamom pods and remove husks, then crush the seeds with the chilli powder and salt. Put in a pan with the cream and sugar and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring almost to the boil, then take off the heat. Break the chocolate into pieces straight into the cream and stir until melted.
- Add the rest of the egg and stir until glossy. Pour the filling into the tart case and bake for 30 mins. Put tin on a wire rack and allow tart to cool completely. The tart is rich, so cut into thin slivers and serve with cream or crème fraîche. It will keep for a few days in the fridge, but is best served at room temperature.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 271(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.