Gnocchi bake with ham and spinach
Skill level: Easy peasy
This quick Italian bake is really easy to make. Just put gnocchi, wilted spinach, Parma ham and mozzarrella balls into a baking dish and bake until golden and bubbling.
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 x 500g pack potato gnocchi
- 250g (9oz) fresh spinach, thoroughly washed
- 125g ball of mozzarella
- 8 slices of Parma ham, torn-up
- 2 large eggs
- 250g (9oz) ricotta cheese
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Black pepper, to season
- 50g of Parmesan cheese
- A large baking dish
The nutmeg adds a nice hint of flavour, though if you don’t have any, simply leave it out.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Use the olive oil to grease a large baking dish.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, then add 500g pack potato gnocchi and cook it over a medium - high heat until it rises to the surface - about 2-3 minutes (or cook according to pack instructions). Drain well, then tip into the baking dish.
- Cook the spinach in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, with a tiny amount of water for 3-4 mins until the leaves wilt. Drain well, squeezing out the excess moisture. Place little mounds of the spinach in amongst the gnocchi, along with the mozzarella chunks and the Parma ham.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat 2 large eggs together with the ricotta cheese and milk, seasoning with a pinch of nutmeg and black pepper. Add in half ofthe Parmesan cheese and mix, then pour the mixture over the gnocchi into the baking dish.
- Scatter the rest of the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins, until set and light golden brown.