Apple and cinnamon cupcakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
These delicious apple and cinnamon cupcakes have a real taste of autumn. Top with our lemon buttercream frosting and a stripy apple slice.
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 eating apples of your choice, peeled, cored and chopped into very fine pieces
- 220g caster sugar
- 220g butter
- 4 eggs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 12-hole muffin trays
- 24 cupcake papers
- Preheat the oven 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line two 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.
- Squeeze the lemons into a small bowl and set 2tbsp of juice aside until required. Pour the rest of the juice over the chopped apples to prevent the apple going brown.
- Beat together the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add 2tbsp of lemon juice. Add the flour and cinnamon, and mix together.
- Put 2tbsp of mixture into each cupcake paper. Divide the chopped apple evenly between the cupcakes and place on top of the cake mixture. Top with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 20 mins in the preheated oven, or until the centre springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool cupcakes in the muffin trays for 5 mins before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with lemon buttercream frosting and a thinly sliced apple and edible glitter.
- To make the stripes in the apple decorations, use a vegetable peeler to remove a stripe of peel from around the apple in a spiral before slicing thinly and placing on the cupcakes.