Gino D'Acampo's macaroni cheese
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Gino D'Acampo's macaroni cheese has a really Italian touch and is super cheesy and incredibly creamy and luxurious which is what we love most about it. Treat the family to this Macaroni cheese (or maccheroni ai quattro formaggi) by Gino D'Acampo, packed with four different cheeses to get an ultimate, rich creamy sauce - it's the ultimate indulgence. It may not be quite diet-friendly, but served up with a portion of salad, it's a really great dinner choice - and occasionally there's nothing wrong with indulging! Mozzarella, Parmesan, Cheddar and Gorgonzola are all featured in this recipe which makes it a real treat.
- 300g dried penne rigate or macaroni
- 150ml double cream
- 100g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g Gorgonzola, cut into small chunks
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 mozzarella balls, drained and cut into chunks
- 3 egg yolks
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- 100g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
Don't use buffalo mozzarella as it releases too much milk and the pasta will be soggy
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Fill a large saucepan at least three-quarters full with water. Add in 2 tablespoons of salt and bring to the boil. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente, stirring every minute or so. To get the al dente perfect bite, cook the pasta for 1 minute less than indicated in the packet instructions. Drain and return the pasta to the same pan, away from the heat.
- Pour in the cream, along with the Cheddar and Gorgonzola cheeses then put the saucepan back over a very low heat and with the help of a wooden spoon start to mix the ingredients together for 30 seconds.
- Take the pan off the heat again and add the paprika, mozzarella, egg yolks, peas and half the Parmesan cheese. Season with a little salt and stir everything together for 30 seconds.
- Tip the pasta into a 25cm round ovenproof dish (or similar sized rectangular one) with sides at least 5cm deep. Sprinkle the top with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes until it is bubbling and blistering on top.
- Leave the maccheroni to rest out of the oven for 3 minutes before serving to your friends and family.