Gino D'Acampo's low-fat chocolate and pineapple cake
Cooking time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Thought there was no such thing as low-fat delicious chocolate cake? Think again! Italian master baker Gino D'Acampo has the perfect recipe for a tempting chocolate and pineapple cake
- 150g low fat-spread plus extra for greasing
- 130g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 230g canned pineapple pieces in natural juice
- 130g low-fat thick natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 chocolate flake, crushed, for decoration
You can use canned peaches instead of pineapple if you prefer
- Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tin and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Put the spread, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl. Sift over the flour and cocoa powder. Beat with an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drain the pineapple pieces well, reserve a quarter of them on a plate and place the rest in a medium bowl. Pour over the yogurt, sift in the icing sugar and gently fold everything together.
- Spoon the pineapple mixture over the chocolate sponge and decorate the top with the reserved pineapple pieces.
- Sprinkle over the crushed chocolate and enjoy.