Spicy roast gammon with beetroot relish
- About 2kg (4lb) smoked gammon joint
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 cloves and some peppercorns
- 1 tsp each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ground ginger and cinnamon
- ½ tsp each of ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- Pinch of dried chillies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 250g (8oz) cooked beetroot, cut into small wedges
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ level tsp each of ground coriander, ground cumin and ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
Save any leftover beetroot relish for sandwiches
- Put the gammon in a large pan with chopped stock ingredients. Add enough water to cover, bring to the boil, then simmer for just under 2 hours.
- For spice mix, use a pestle and mortar to grind ingredients.
- Set oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4. Remove meat from pan, leave for 10 mins, then peel off skin. Put meat in a roasting tin and press spice mix on top using the back of a spoon. Roast for 30 mins, until golden. Leave for about 15 mins before slicing, or leave until completely cold.
- To make the relish: Heat the oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook over a low heat for 8 mins. Add apple, beetroot, sultanas and spices and cook for 2 mins, then add 5 tbsp water and cook for a further 15 mins, until the fruit is soft but not mushy. Add the vinegar and simmer for 1 min, then add honey. Serve either hot or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 255(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.