Lemon roast chicken
- 1.75kg (3¾lb) chicken
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 head of fennel, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 6 sprigs of thyme or basil
Eat any leftover meat cold, but heat leftover veg in their juices to serve with it.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Use a peeler to take the skin off the lemons and cut half of the shavings into thin strips. Juice the lemons.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, season the chicken and brown it all over. Set it aside on a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 mins, then add the fennel and leek and cook for another 5 mins. Put the vegetables into a casserole or roasting tin, add the thyme or basil sprigs. Place the chicken on top, pour over the juice from the 2 lemons and sprinkle with the lemon strips and shavings.
- Pour in 300ml (½ pint) hot water, cover with lid or foil, and cook for 1½ hours. Take off the foil and continue cooking for 30-40 mins more or until juices run clear from the thigh when pierced with a skewer, and the vegetables are tender.
- Leave for 10 mins before serving, straight from the dish, spooning the vegetables and lemony juices over each portion of meat.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 182(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 0.8g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.