Prep time:(including decorating)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Looking for a new flavour for your cupcakes? Give this tasty recipe for lemon cupcakes a go - they come complete with a tangy lemon centre and sweet lemon icing
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tblsp of fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 80ml buttermilk
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 tblsp lemon curd
- 150g icing sugar
- 150g fondant
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- Yellow food colour
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Deep muffin tray
- 12 cases
- 1 large and 1 small flower cutter
Add a touch of water to your icing if you find it’s looking too thick
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 4 and line your muffin tray with paper cases.
- Add the zest and lemon juice to the buttermilk and leave to one side.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder. Add the eggs one a time with a third of the flour mix and stir until just combined. Repeat until all the flour and eggs have been added.
- Add the buttermilk mix and vanilla extract and fold into the mixture until evenly spread throughout the mix.
- Fill the cases to 2/3rds full (this will leave you enough room for the icing) and bake for 25 mins until golden brown and spring back to the touch. Remove and cool on a wire rack
- When the cakes are cooled cut out a piece of cake in the middle of the cake and pop a teaspoon of lemon curd in the hole then replace the piece of sponge to fill the hole.
- For the topping: Roll the fondant and cut 12 large flowers. Using the small cutter, cut the centres out of the large flowers. Leave to dry on parchment paper.
- Mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar a little at a time until you have a thick shiny paste. Add the yellow colouring and mix again.
- Spread a thin layer over the tops of the cooled cupcakes and pop a flower on top – do this straight after icing each cake otherwise the surface will crack once it’s set.
- Add sprinkles to the centres of each flower and leave to set.