Sausage and bean casserole with colcannon
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sausage and bean casserole is a classic and serving it with potato colcannon gives it a creamy twist. This cheat's recipe is made using canned food for speed
IngredientsFor the casserole
- 8 pork sausages
- 1 x 295g can condensed tomato soup
- 1 x 415g can baked beans
- 1/2 x 410g can black eyed beans, drained
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 Braeburn apples, cut into wedges
For the colcannon
- 1/2 Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 x 567g can new potatoes, drained
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 50ml boiling water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Use spicy pork sausages to give this dish an extra spicy kick.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the sausages and cook until lightly browned. Add the onion and apple and fry until lightly caramelised.
- Put the sausages, onion and apple into a dish. Pour over a can of condensed tomato soup and on equal quantity of water plus the black eyed and baked beans. Stir and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- For the colcannon, heat half the butter and a little olive oil in a saucepan; add the finely chopped spring onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and the boiling water, stir and cover.
- Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir until the cabbage has wilted and the water evaporated.
- Add the new potatoes, as they begin to heat through crush with the back of a fork. Mix the potatoes and cabbage and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the butter, stir and serve with the sausage casserole.