Orange and cinnamon mince pies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
For mince pies with a twist, try Jo Pratt's take on the Christmas classic with a festive orange and cinnamon crumble on top
- 375g shortcrust pastry
- 250g good quality mincemeat
- 50g plain flour
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 40g butter
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For those who aren’t lovers of mincemeat, a delicious alternative is to replace it with some apple pie filling
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Thinly roll out the pastry and using a 7.5-9cm pastry cutter, cut out as many disks as you can, re-rolling the trimmings as you go. Press the disks into the holes of one or two 12 hole patty tins.
- Spoon a couple of teaspoons of mincemeat into each pastry case and set aside.
- To make the crumble topping, rub together the flour, demerara sugar, butter, orange zest and cinnamon until you have a chunky crumble mixture. Scatter over the top of the mincemeat and place in the oven for around 15 minutes or until the mince pies are golden and the tops are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before taking out of the tins. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!