Turkish delight rocky road
Prep time:(plus overnight setting time and chilling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This Turkish delight rocky road is a great fun spin on an old American classic. To make this simple recipe, you will need 40 minutes of preparation, but you will also have bear in mind that you need to leave time for it to chill and set overnight. This recipe uses homemade Turkish delight, but if you're short on time, you can use shop bought - you can get it in most supermarkets and is a bit of a speedy cheat. For the rocky road, remember that you can always add some of your favourite sweets or chocolates to pimp up the recipe, and give it your own personal flair. Turkish delight rocky road is a great variation to the traditional version, and it’s great if you’re up for trying something new and different. Make them as a festive treat for you and your family to enjoy or give them as lovely homemade food gifts.
- 600g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 75g sweetened dried cranberries
- 75g shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 100g macadamia nuts, toasted
For the Turkish delight:
- 440g sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 60g cornflour, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- ½tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 4–6 drops red food colouring
- 30g icing sugar
Buy some turkish delight from your local supermarket if you're short on time
- Spray a 19cm square cake tin with oil. Line the base and sides with plastic wrap and lightly spray with oil again.
- To make the Turkish delight, place the sugar, 185 ml (6 fl oz/¾ cup) water and the lemon juice in a heavy-based saucepan over medium–high heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, without stirring, for 30–40 minutes, or until the sugar syrup reaches the soft ball stage on a sugar thermometer 106°C. (The mixture should be soft and pliable when dropped into cold water and pressed between your finger and thumb.)
- Remove from the heat. Combine the cornflour and cream of tartar in a large saucepan and whisk in 375 ml water until smooth. Place over medium heat and stir constantly until thick. Slowly stir in the sugar syrup.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 75–80 minutes, or until pale and golden. Stir in the rosewater and food colouring. Pour into the prepared tin and allow to cool, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. Cut into 2 cm (¾ inch) cubes. Sift the icing sugar and extra cornflour onto a plate, add the Turkish delight cubes and toss until well coated.
- To make the rocky road: Spray a 19cm square cake tin with oil and line the base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper over two sides for easy removal later.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Half fill a saucepan with water, bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Sit the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stand, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.
- Spread one third of the chocolate into the prepared tin. Scatter evenly with half the cranberries, coconut, macadamia nuts and 250g of the Turkish delight. Pour over another one-third of the chocolate and scatter on the remaining cranberries, coconut and 250g of the Turkish delight.
- Top with the remaining chocolate and tap the tin on the bench. Transfer to the refrigerator to set. Lift out using the paper handles and cut into pieces to serve.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!