Christmas cupcakes in a jar
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Want to give cupcakes as Christmas food gifts? Try this new craze for cupcakes in a jar. Once cooked, cut and layer your cake in individual jars for cute festive treats. This is a really fun way to try something new and change up your usual go-to cupcake recipe. These Christmas cupcakes will look really lovely with some ribbon around the jars to make them look extra special. They're really different because you'll need a spoon to eat them, and they'll even make a nice dinner party dessert if you want to really wow your guests.
IngredientsFor the cupcake:
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 175g butter
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 150ml soured cream
- 150ml mulled wine, room temperature
- 200g butter
- 100g chestnut puree
- 450g golden icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Irish whiskey
- 8-10 small jars with lids
- Round plain pastry cutter
Tie each with a ribbon before serving to give the jars that extra festive feel.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease and base line a shallow rectangular baking tin approximately 35 cm x 25cm. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a bowl.
- Using an electric whisk beat the butter, sugar and orange rind together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and soured cream. Once completed fold in the flour mixture and mulled wine gradually.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and chestnut puree together in a bowl using an electric whisk. Gradually beat in the sugar then the whiskey.
- Using a plain pastry cutter, slightly smaller than the top of the jars, cut out circles from the cooled cake. Carefully fit a layer of cake in the base of each jar. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle with the frosting and pipe a layer over the cake. Top with another circle of cake, pushing down to fit snugly. Pipe a rosette of frosting on top of each cake and secure the lid to the jar.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!