Kirstie Allsopp's spiced plum puddings
Add any spices you like to the pudding – and even try it with apples and pears when they're in season.
- 3 ripe plums
- 2tbsp sugar
- 85g (3oz) butter
- 85g (3oz) condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 100g self raising flour
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp ginger
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Halve the plums and remove the stones, then chop into quarters. Tip into a pan with 3tbsp water and 2tbsp sugar. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Beat the remaining ingredients in bowl until smooth.
- Butter 4 x 150ml metal pudding basins (or ramekins or small robust coffee cups) and place into a roasting tin.
- Spoon the plums into the pudding basins. Top with the sponge and level the tops.
- Pour hot water into the roasting tin until about halfway up the sides of the puddings. Cover the whole tin with foil, carefully transfer to the oven (taking care to keep the tin level) and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and turning golden at the edges.
- Turn the puddings out and serve with freshly made custard.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.