Pannetone bread and butter pudding
- 60-90g (2-3oz) butter, softened
- 1/2-3/4 of a 500g panettone, sliced
- 125g (4oz) sultanas or raisins
- 50g (23/4oz) demerara sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 300ml carton double cream
- 3 medium eggs
- Ovenproof dish, buttered
If you can't find pannettone use white bread but add some extra dried fruit
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Spread the butter over one side of each slice of panettone, and cut each slice into triangles.
- Mix together the sultanas or raisins, sugar and mixed spice. Arrange half of the panettone, butter-side up in the ovenproof dish and sprinkle over half of the fruit mixture. Top with the remaining bread and scatter the remaining fruit mixture over the top. Beat together the milk, cream and eggs, and then pour the mixture through a sieve over the bread.
- Leave the pudding to stand for at least 30 minutes, so that the bread absorbs some of the liquid. Place the dish in a roasting tin. Pour in boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake the pudding for about 40-50 minutes in the centre of the oven, until the top is golden, the edges of the bread start to crisp and the custard has set in the centre. Remove pudding from the oven and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 698(kcal)
- Fat 42.0g
- Saturates 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.