Red velvet peppermint cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Bakes from the States! Give classic American red velvet cake a festive update by topping it with cool peppermint frosting and some crushed candy canes
- 1 (18.25oz) white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (9oz) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 x tub Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting (or use our cream cheese frosting recipe and add a few drops of peppermint essence)
- Green plastic Christmas trees or similar cake decorations
- 6 (5-inch) red and white peppermint candy canes, crushed
- 12 (5-inch) green candy canes, broken
- 12 round peppermint candies
To convert these US measurements into UK ones check out this handy guide
- Beat first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with the crushed candies, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.
Taken from MyRecipes.com