Cider-roasted turkey with apple and sage stuffing
- 4.5-5kg (10-11lb) Bronze turkey, we used a Kelly Bronze
- 30g (1oz) melted butter
- 2 litre bottle medium-sweetcider
For the stuffing:
- 454-500g packet sausages or sausagemeat
- 1 cooking apple, quartered, cored, peeled and chopped
- 30g (1oz) breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Any cold turkey can be packed in freezer bags and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow meat to defrost before serving.
- To make the stuffing: Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and mix them until they just bind together. Stuff the neck end of the turkey, packing the stuffing in firmly, but without over-filling it. Any extra stuffing can be shaped into balls and cooked on the same baking tray as the Bacon-Wrapped Sausages.
- Position one oven shelf towards the bottom of the oven for the turkey, and the other shelf towards the top of the oven for the vegetables.
- Weigh the stuffed turkey to calculate the cooking time. As there can be variations between metric and imperial weights, we base our timings on the metric weight, and allow 20 mins per kg, plus 90 mins. Itís better to leave the turkey to rest for 20-30 mins before carving, so take this into account when calculating what time to put it in the oven. So if the turkey with stuffing weighs 5kg, then it will about 3 hours 10 mins. See our turkey timer to calculate the time for your turkey
- Place the turkey in a roasting tin and brush the melted butter over it. Pour the cider into the roasting tin. Cover the tin with foil and place the tin in the oven and keep the turkey covered with foil until the last 45-50 mins of the calculated cooking time.
- To test if the turkey is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the flesh on the thigh with a skewer. If the juices that run out are clear, then itís cooked, but if there is still any pinkness, then continue cooking.
- When the juices run clear, remove the turkey from the oven and cover the tin with a clean sheet of foil. Leave the turkey in a warm place for 20-30 mins before carving.
- Strain the juices left in the pan and use these juices to make gravy.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 439(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.