Twice-baked smoked salmon souffle with horseradish cream
- 50g (1¾oz) butter
- 50g (1¾oz) plain flour
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 100g (3½oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 1 level tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 200g packet smoked salmon
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- Sprigs of dill
- Lemon slices, quartered
- Caviar or fish roe
- Salad leaves
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 6-8 ramekin dishes, well buttered and base-lined with baking parchment
The soufflés can be prepared a day in advance up to the end of Step 7.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour, then gradually add the milk, beating well between each addition to give a smooth sauce. Simmer the sauce for a few mins, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream cheese and dill.
- Cut 6-8 narrow strips of smoked salmon, long enough to wrap around the ramekin dishes, and reserve them, then chop the rest of it.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Beat the egg yolks, one at a time, into the sauce, then fold in the egg whites, chopped salmon, lemon zest and pepper.
- Place the ramekin dishes in a roasting dish and pour boiling water around them, to come about halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake in centre of the oven for about 15-20 mins, until the soufflés have puffed up and just set.
- Remove the soufflés from the oven and leave them to cool for a few minutes. Turn them out on to a board, or plate, and leave to cool.
- Spread some horseradish sauce over one side of the smoked salmon strips, and wrap one around each soufflé, with the horseradish sticking them to the soufflés.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Place the soufflés on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and bake in the oven for 12-15 mins, or until they start to puff up.
- Meanwhile, stir the remaining horseradish sauce into the crème fraîche.
- Remove the soufflés from the oven and serve each with some horseradish crème spooned on top and garnished with a sprig of dill, a quartered slice of lemon and a little caviar or fish roe. Serve immediately with salad leaves drizzled with olive oil.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 261(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.