Chicken, mushroom and bacon pie
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 300ml (½ pint) hot chicken stock
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper
- About 500g (1lb) cooked chicken, in chunks
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 1.25 litre (2 pint) pie dish, buttered
If you want an extra challenge try our homemade puff pastry recipe
- Dry-fry the bacon in a frying pan until it’s crispy. Put in a large bowl. Add about a third of the butter to the pan and fry the mushrooms until browned. Add to the bacon.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan, with the flour, and stir to make a thick paste. Pour in the stock gradually, to make a sauce, and bring to the boil for a minute. Stir in the crème fraîche, parsley and seasoning. Pour into the bowl and add the bacon and mushrooms. Cool. Mix chicken into the sauce and put the filling in the pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry, if necessary, to ensure that it fits on top of the dish. Brush water on the dish’s edge, put a strip of pastry around, then lay the pastry top on and seal edges, then trim and decorate. Cut shapes out of the leftover pastry and stick on top with water.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Bake for 40 mins until golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 577(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 18.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.