Chinese duck pancakes
- 2 duck legs and 2 duck breasts
- 2 level tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ½ level tsp salt
- 2 star anise
- Pared rind and juice of 1 orange
- 4 tbsp rice wine, or sherry
- 100ml (3½fl oz) chicken stock
- 500g (1lb) red plums, halved, stoned
- 1 med red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled, cut into slivers
- Good pinch of Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 18-20 Chinese pancakes
- 6-8 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- ½ cucumber, cut into thin strips
- Baking tray lined with Teflon
Ready-made pancakes can be bought chilled or frozen.
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Put the duck pieces into a roasting tin. Sprinkle them with five spice and salt, add the star anise, orange parings and juice, wine or sherry, and stock. Cover with foil and cook for 2 hrs until tender.
- To make the plum sauce: Put the plums, cut-side down, onion and ginger on a Teflon-lined baking tray. Sprinkle with Five Spice and sugar, and drizzle with oil. Roast for about 1½ hrs, while the duck is cooking. When softened, scrape everything into a food processor and whizz to a purée. Sieve. Add some soy sauce, if you like.
- Take the foil off the duck. Turn the oven up to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and cook for another 20 mins to crisp the skin on the duck (or put it under the grill). Leave to rest for 10 mins, then shred the meat off the bone. Serve with hot pancakes, spring onion and cucumber strips and the plum sauce.
To freeze: Put the duck portions and juices in a strong polybag. Put the sauce in a small container. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 1 month.To serve from freezer thaw the duck and sauce overnight. Put the duck and juices in the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 to reheat and crisp for about 30 mins. Warm the sauce, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 387(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.