Wild fish pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
Whip up this wild fish pie for a warming family meal tonight. Filled with fresh fish, this recipe saves time by making the sauce in the microwave. This delicious wild fish pie serves 4 people and will take 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and cook. This delicious fish pie is topped with slices of potato. The rich and creamy sauce makes this fish pie a real winner.
- 1 leek
- 500g wild salmon fillets, cubed
- 200g raw tiger prawns
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 60g butter
- 60g flour
- 1 lemon, finely zested rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 500g potatoes
- A little melted butter
Frozen fish may be used for this pie - but allow it to defrost before using.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Finely chop the leek and microwave it for 2 minutes on high. Put in an ovenproof dish with the salmon and prawns.
- To make the sauce, pour the milk into a large jug and whisk in the flour, then add the butter. Microwave on High for 4 minutes, stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes longer or until the sauce is thick and smooth. Stir in the lemon zest, parsley and seasoning and pour over the fish and mix in.
- Thinly slice the potatoes (no need to peel) and cook them in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain the potatoes and arrange the slices over the top of the fish. Brush over the butter.
- Bake the pie in the centre of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until golden.
Fancy making a traditional fish pie? Try our classic fish pie recipe