Makes: 8 large cookies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These festive Christmas cookies are filled with red and green M&Ms and are perfect to hang on the tree, for the kids’ Christmas fete, or to give as homemade presents. Christmas cookies will fill your home with the lovely, comforting scent of freshly baked biscuits and everyone who walks through your door will be welcomed by it. Christmas cookies are a really speedy bake and they're fun to make with kids too. If the kids want to get involved, you could get them some icing pens and let them draw on festive stars, or whatever else they like. Friends and family will love the personal touch, plus the cookies themselves are delicious too!
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 160g self-raising flour
- 100g red M&Ms
- 100g green M&Ms
Give the mixture as a fun food gift. See how with our special step-by-step video
- To make this cookie recipe, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat the golden syrup into the butter and sugar along with the vanilla extract. Sift in the flour and salt until just combined.
- Crush the M&Ms lightly with the bottom of a mug or end of a rolling pin. Stir the broken up M&Ms into the cookie dough mixture with a large metal spoon, until just combined.
- Bring together the cookie dough in a ball and place on a floured work surface. Roll the cookie dough out to approximately 1cm thick and cut the cookies into circles using a medium-sized cookie cutter. If you plan to hang your cookies from the tree, make a small hole 1cm from the top of the cookie using your index finger.
- Place the cookies onto the lined baking tray, allowing plenty of room for them to spread while baking.
- Bake for 12 mins or until just golden brown.
- Allow chocolate chip cookies to cool on the tray for few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, you can thread a ribbon through the hole in each cookie and tie them to your tree.