Honeyed walnut tart
- 1/2 x 375g packet sweet dessert pastry
- 100g (31/2oz) butter
- 4 level tbsps dark muscovado sugar
- 4 rounded tbsps honey
- 4 level tbsps crème fraîche
- 250g (8oz) walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 19cm (71/2in) round, fluted flan tin
You can make this tart with a mixture of nuts, such as hazelnuts and pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and use to line the flan tin. Prick the base of the pastry, and then chill it for about 15 mins.
- Line the pastry case with a sheet of baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place the tin on a baking sheet. Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 mins, until the edge of the pastry starts to turn a golden colour. Remove from the oven and lift out the baking parchment with the baking beans. Return the pastry case to the oven for a further 3-5 mins, until it is a light golden colour. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperatue to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make the filling: Melt the butter in a pan and add the sugar and honey. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat and boil the mixture for 2-3 mins, until it thickens slightly — then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the honey mixture. When it’s melted, stir in the nuts. Turn mixture into the pastry case and spread it out.
- Bake the tart in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins, or until the top is a light golden colour. Cover it with a sheet of baking parchment, or foil, if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Remove the tart from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for about 10 mins, then transfer it to a wire rack and leave it to cool completely. Serve thin slices with a dollop of crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 332(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.