Rocky road cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Rocky road cupcakes are the great if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to revamp your go-to cupcake recipe. Have a kid’s birthday party coming up and don’t want to serve the same cupcakes as last year? Or maybe you just really love rocky road and want any excuse you can get to eat it. Either way, topping up naughty chocolate cupcakes with rocky road toppings like gooey marshmallows, pistachios and sticky cherries is the way to go. Of course you can always adapt the toppings to include your favourite chocolates or sweets – it’s your time to go all out! A great way to get the kids involved is to get the most boring part out the way and make the cupcakes yourself, especially if your children are still quite small, and then just give them a free pass to decorate the cupcakes how they want. Set out a few treats on the table that they can choose from, and let them create their dream rocky road cupcake. Maybe they’ll surprise you with their cake-decorating skills…
- 110g butter
- 210g 48% dark chocolate
- 10g coffee granules
- 60g self-raising flour
- 60g plain flour
- 10g cornflour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 240g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 50ml buttermilk
- 80ml water
- 100g 48% dark chocolate, melted
- 2 packets of mini marshmallows
- 1 handful pistachios, chopped
- 12 glace cherries
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3 and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Roughly chop 210g of dark chocolate with a sharp knife and place 100g to one side to add to the tops of the cupcakes.
- Place the butter, remainder of the chopped chocolate, coffee granules and 80ml of water in a large bowl over a pan of boiling water making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water underneath. Stir gently until melted then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Sift the flours, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Add the beaten eggs, oil and buttermilk and the chocolate mixture, stirring with a large spoon until completely combined.
- Fill cupcake cases to 2/3 full, sprinkle 100g of chopped chocolate evenly over the tops of the batter and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While the cakes are cooling melt the dark chocolate in the microwave on 30 seconds bursts until smooth. Chop the pistachios.
- When the cakes are cooled, place them back into the baking trays. Drizzle some melted chocolate over the tops of the cakes and top with marshmallows, then drizzle the rest of the melted chocolate over the top of the marshmallows and add the chopped pistachios. Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and pop the cakes back into the oven for 2-3 minutes just until the marshmallows turn a light golden brown. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn. When they are done remove and top with a cherry.