- 320g sheet puff pastry (we used Jus-Rol)
- 400g pack (12) pork and herb chipolata sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon
- 3 medium eggs
- 300ml pot double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin
You could pop some tomato halves on top of the pie or roast tomatoes in the oven at the same time to serve with it.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and use it to line the tin, pressing it in well. Trim the overhanging pastry at the short ends and the corners. Prick the base with a fork. Chill in the fridge.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put a baking sheet in to heat up.
- Skin the sausages and break each one into 4 chunks. Heat a frying pan, add the sausage chunks and fry them for about 8 mins, shaking the pan every so often, until the chunks are browned all over. Tip out into a large sieve over a bowl.
- Add the oil to the pan and, when hot, add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for 3 mins, then take the lid off and cook for another 2-3 mins until they are browned and the juices are absorbed. Tip into the sieve with the sausages.
- Stretch the bacon rashers with the back of a knife. Cut them in half widthways, then in half lengthways. Whisk the eggs and cream with the seasoning in a bowl.
- Spread the sausage meat and mushrooms in the pastry case. Pour in the beaten eggs and cream, and then criss-cross the bacon strips over the top.
- Put the tin on the hot baking sheet in the bottom half of the oven and bake for 25-30 mins until lightly browned. Leave for 5 mins before serving straight from the tin. Or cool, remove from tin and slice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 750(kcal)
- Fat 63.0g
- Saturates 30.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.