Gluten-free blueberry cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Baking for someone on a gluten-free diet? Try Victoria Threader's delicious blueberry cupcakes. Made with ground almonds and gluten-free flour and topped with creme fraiche, they taste just as good as they look
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 100g gluten-free plain flour
- 5 medium egg whites/10 tbsp of liquid egg white
- 200g punnet of blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 60ml creme fraiche
Using icing sugar or custard powder in place of caster sugar gives you a lovely light cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line the a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for about a minute and leave to one side to cool. Sift the flour, icing sugar and almonds into a large bowl and add the lemon zest.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy and add to the flour, sugar and almond, then stir in the cooled melted butter.
- Fold the blueberries into the mixture, reserving a few for decoration.
- Divide the mix between the cases and bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Test the cupcakes by inserting a toothpick to see if they are baked, if the toothpick comes out clean and they are golden on top, they are ready. Cool in the tins for 5-10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and top with a couple of blueberries.