Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Jazz up your kids' lunch times by preparing these healthy chicken pittas. Full of flavour but only 162 cals per serving, they're perfect for lunchboxes or a weekend treat
- 2 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 heaped tsp tomato puree
- 2 heaped tsp tikka masala curry paste
- 150g skinless uncooked chicken (thigh or breast), cut into strips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 wholemeal pitta breads
- Shredded lettuce and cherry tomatoes
Serve with raw vegetable sticks and follow with an apple, orange or satsuma to add two extra portions of fruit and vegetables towards your 5-a-day.
- To make this chicken breast recipe, mix together the yoghurt, tomato puree and curry paste. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil.
- Put the marinated chicken pieces into the heated pan and stir-fry over a medium heat until cooked but still juicy (about 5-8 minutes).
- Warm and split open the pitta breads and fill them with shredded lettuce. Add the cooked chicken, then serve with cherry tomatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 162(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 0.7g
- Sugars 3.0g
- Salt 0.7g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.