Slimming World's cottage pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you love cottage pie and you're looking for a guilt-free version, Slimming World's cottage pie is the answer. Slimming World's twist on an old classic, traditional cottage pie topped with a fluffy potato and carrot mash, makes a delicious healthy meal for the whole family. This recipe takes around 1hr and 20 mins to make. It serves 4 people and is a hearty meal the whole clan with love tucking into come dinner time. Our favourite part of this meal is the creamy carrot and potato mash which is soft and smooth and just perfect with the warming minced meat filling.
IngredientsFor the pie:
- 500g extra lean minced beef
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g green beans, cut into 1cm lengths
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200ml passata
For the topping:
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 225g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
The minced beef mixture makes a great filling for a jacket potato too.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the mince, garlic, onion, green beans, carrots and dried herbs in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a pie dish and add the Worcestershire sauce and passata. Stir to mix well, cover the dish with foil and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan of lightly salted water for 15 minutes or until both are tender. Drain well then mash together. Stir in the beaten egg and season with black pepper.
- Take the baking dish from the oven, remove the foil and carefully spoon the mash over the top of the meat, smoothing the surface.
- Return the dish to the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is browned. Serve hot with vegetables of your choice.
Fancy making a traditional cottage pie? Try our classic cottage pie recipeFor more delicious Slimming World recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website