Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you're on a diet, enjoy a guilt-free cupcake with these delicious sultana cupcakes with a fresh-tasting green tea icing. They look great and taste great too – so it’s a great combination!
IngredientsFor the fat free cupcakes:
- 1 green tea bag
- 140 g (5 oz) sultanas
- 115 g (4 oz) pitted soft dates, chopped
- 140 g (5 oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 225 g (8 oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 250 g (9 oz) fondant icing sugar, sieved
- 3–4 tbsp green tea, hot or cold
- 2 tbsp each sultanas and chopped dates
- Silicon moulds or non-stick paper cases
It’s essential that silicone moulds or non-stick paper cases are used for these or the baked mixture will stick like to the cases leaving half the sponge behind
- To make the cupcakes, put the tea bag in a large measuring jug and add 300 ml (1⁄2 pt) plus 3–4 tablespoons of hot, but not-quite-boiling, water. Set aside for 10 minutes, then remove the bag and pour 300 ml (1⁄2 pt) of the tea into a mixing bowl (the rest is for the icing). Stir in the sultanas, dates and sugar. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Beat the eggs into the tea mixture in the bowl and stir in the flour and ginger until evenly combined.
- Set the silicone cases on a baking sheet and spoon the mixture into them. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough green tea to make a spreadable icing. Coat the tops of the cupcakes with the icing and decorate with a few sultanas and chopped dates.