Gluten-free sponge cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Need to cater for someone with a gluten intolerance? Cake isn't off the menu! Try our basic gluten-free sponge cake for a delicious alternative
- 4 eggs
- 165g sugar
- 150g soy-free, gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 100g strawberry jam
- Pure icing sugar, to serve
- 300ml pouring (whipping) cream
Need more ideas for gluten-free baking? Take a look at our selection of gluten-free recipes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease and flour two 20cm (8in) round cake tins, then line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer for about 6–7 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Very gently fold the sifted flour into the egg mixture alternately with 4 tablespoons hot water. Gently spread the mixture into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25–30 minutes, or until lightly browned and the cakes have slightly left the side of the tins. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whip the cream into stiff peaks.
- Spread the jam over the top of one sponge, and top with the cream. Place the other sponge on top and dust with icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 353(kcal)
- Fat 18.9g
- Saturates 11.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.