Pistachio and yogurt cake
Cooking time:(plus 10 mins cooling)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cake uses olive oil and low-fat yogurt instead of butter for a lighter sponge. Serve with a light Greek yogurt topping and berries to keep the fat content down
- Light olive oil or low-fat spread, for oiling or greasing
- 140g (5oz) shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts
- 4 eggs
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5½oz) plain low fat yogurt
- 75ml (3fl oz) light olive oil
- 115g (4oz) self-raising flour
- Low-fat crème fraîche or Greek yougurt and mixed fresh berries to top
Like this? You'll love our 21 lower-fat cakes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/315°F/Gas mark 2–3.
- Oil a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin with a little light olive oil or use some low-fat spread.
- Start by finely grinding the pistachios in a food processor, then set aside.
- Using a free-standing electric mixer, beat the eggs and the sugar together until very pale and thick. This will take about 5 minutes, so be patient with it!
- Next, gently mix in the yogurt and olive oil.
- Now, sift in the flour and fold in using a spatula, then add the ground pistachios.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Top with crème fraîche and mixed fresh berries.