Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Valentine's cupcakes are a great way to say 'I love you' to all the special people in your life. Whether it's your other half, a friend, a family member, or even your little ones, everyone will definitely be left with a big smile on their faces after they receive this lovely treat. These cute Valentine's cupcakes recipe will make 12, so you'll have plenty of tasty treats to go round all the special people in your life. You'll only need 25 mins to make these Valentine's cupcakes, plus another half an hour to bake them. Victoria Threader's exclusive Valentine's cupcakes recipe comes with a cute homemade gingham cake topper, and a vanilla sponge - what a great combination! Show someone you care this Valentine's Day by making these romantic Valentine's cupcakes.
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter
- 140 self-raising flour
- 10g cornflour
- 3 medium eggs
- 30ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Cake release to grease the heart shaped cupcakes cases
- 200g of icing sugar
- 2 tsp water (more if you need it)
- 300g white fondant
- 1 gingham edible icing sheet (Victoria got one from Edible Prints)
- Heart shaped cutters - 5cm, 2cm and 1cm
- Tooth pick for the stitch effect
- Red and yellow colouring
- 12 cases I used heart shaped silicone cases from Amazon
If you can't find the heart shaped cupcake cases, fill normal ones with the mixture and put them in a muffin tray. Place a marble at the top of each case within the holes to make the cases into heart shapes.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease your heart shaped baking cases and place them on a baking tray.
- Beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light a fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add 1 egg, 1 third of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven
- Remove and leave to cool until they are cool enough to ice.
For the toppers
- Roll 250g of white fondant out to the size of the A4 icing sheet. Cut 12 heart shapes with the 5 ½ cm heart cutter. Lightly brush the top of the fondant with water or trex and cut out 5 ½ cm heart's from the icing sheet and stick to the top of the fondant heart.
- Then take 50g of the fondant colour it cream with a touch of yellow colouring and cut 12 smaller 2cm heart shapes and stick with a brush of water to the top of the gingham hearts.
- Then colouring what’s left of the fondant red, cut 12 - 1cm hearts and stick these to the centre of the cream heart.
- Using the tooth pick, make stitch-like marks around the edge of the cream heart.
- Mix the icing up using 200g of icing sugar and 2 teaspoons of water to start with, add more if you need it until the icing is smooth and shiny. Spread the icing onto the cupcakes and place the topper on the top of the icing.