Valentine's cookie lollies
Prep time:(plus chilling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Valentine's Day is all about those little somethings. Bake these super sweet cookies on sticks for a surprise made with love
- 110g unsalted butter
- 55g caster sugar
- 170g plain flour
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 300g royal icing (available ready-to-mix at most supermarkets).
- 12 lolly sticks
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Ribbon to decorate
Add flavouring to the royal icing for a variety of tasty lollies
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar together until fluffy, then mix in the flour until it comes together in a soft ball. Cover the mixing bowl with a tea towel and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough and use a heart-shaped cutter to make the heart shapes. At the bottom of each heart, carefully push a lolly stick at least 1in (25mm).
- Place the cookies on a greased baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are just golden brown.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Follow the instructions on the royal icing to make soft-peak icing, adding your choice of food colouring you wish to use.
- With a piping bag and fine nozzle, pipe a heart outline on each cookie. Leave for around 10 minutes to harden.
- Follow the instructions on the royal icing to make runny icing, adding food colouring as required. Use the runny icing to fill the area inside each heart shape, taking care not to over-fill or it will run over.
- Before the icing sets, decorate by piping contrasting colours of runny icing onto the surface.
- Decorate with a piece of ribbon tied in a bow on the lolly stick.