Rose and white chocolate cupcakes
Total time:(plus cooling)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These chocolatey cupcakes are beautifully fresh and floral. Whip up a batch of these romantic rose and white chocolate cupcakes for a lovely Valentine's Day treat
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1–2 tablespoons rose water, or to taste
- 120ml buttermilk
- 1/ 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/ 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g white chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 150g white chocolate chips
- 140g mascarpone
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- Pale pink ribbon and fresh pink rose petals, for decoration
Rose water varies in strength (normally the more expensive it is, the more intense it is) so taste as you go to avoid overpowering the flavour of the white chocolate.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for 3–5 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and the rose water, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Fold in one third of the flour mixture and beat well. Add half of the buttermilk and beat well. Fold in another third of the flour mixture and beat well. Add the remaining buttermilk and finally the last third of the flour mixture, beating well between each addition. Add the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and beat for 2 minutes. Fold in the white chocolate chips. Taste the mixture and add more rose water if required.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are full. Bake for 20–25 minutes until the sponge bounces back to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, melt the chocolate in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, beat the mascarpone and icing sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the melted chocolate.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the frosting onto each cupcake and using a palette knife, spread the frosting over the top. Decorate with rose petals or other edible flowers and tie the ribbon around the cupcake cases.