Smoked cod fish cakes
Shake things up a little and try this with smoked salmon the next time you make it
- 1 pack smoked cod
- 200g mashed potato, seasoned
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 50g white cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp of chives, chopped
- 50g seasoned flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Oil for frying
- Cook the smoked cod as instructed on pack. When cooled, remove the skin and any bones, and then flake the fish.
- In a bowl, mix the fish, mashed potato, cheese, half the mustard and chives. Beat 1 egg and add to the mix to bind. Split the mix into 6 equal portions and mould into round fishcakes with your hands. Place on a plate and leave in the fridge to firm up.
- When fish cakes are firm cover in seasoned flour, dip into the egg, gently shake to remove excess and place one at a time onto a bed of breadcrumbs to cover the base, scooping the breadcrumbs up over the top and pressing them firmly onto the fishcakes to cover the gaps.
- In a large frying pan cover the base with oil. Fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, turning half way through.
- Lay the fishcakes on kitchen paper to drain and make the delicious sauce by simply mixing the remaining mustard with the crème fraiche.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.