Beef, Stilton and ale pie
- 250g ready-made puff pastry (half a packet of Jus-Rol All-Butter Puff pastry)
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 3 tbsps plain flour, seasoned
- 600g (1¼lb) braising steak (chuck steak or shin of beef), cut into large cubes
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 300ml (½ pint) stout (we used Guinness)
- 150ml (¼ pint) hot beef stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g (3½oz) Stilton
- 900ml-1.25 litre (1½-2 pint) capacity pudding bowl or pie dish
Want to make your own puff pastry? Try our easy puff pastry recipe
- To make the filling: Put the seasoned flour in a large bowl or bag. Add the beef and coat it well. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan and cook the beef in 2 batches for 3-4 mins, until browned all over. Transfer it to a casserole dish. Set the oven to or 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3
- Add the onion and garlic and another tablespoon of the oil to the pan and cook them for 5 mins until softened.
- Pour in the stout and stock. Bring to the boil and add the sugar and bay leaf. Stir, then pour over the meat. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours. Take out and leave to cool, if you have time.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly-floured surface to at least 5cm (2in) larger than the top of the bowl. Cut out a round, then score it. Spoon the meat mixture into the bowl and add pieces of Stilton. Wet around the top of the dish, place a collar of pastry around, made from trimmings, and then put on the lid. Seal the edges well, tuck the excess pastry under the rim. Brush with beaten egg. Place on a baking sheet, below the centre of the oven, and bake for 45-50 mins, until the pastry is golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 729(kcal)
- Fat 42.0g
- Saturates 18.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.