Love Heart cupcakes
Prep time:(including icing and decorating)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Serve up these Love Heart cupcakes as a romantic treat for your loved ones. Top with a tangy icing made with sweets and a Love Heart with your favourite message
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 150g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 150g caster sugar
- 130g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk (room temperature)
- 3 eggs
- 110g butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Red, yellow blue food colour paste
- 2 packets of love heart sweets
- Muffin tray
- 12 cupcake cases
- Palette knife
- Freezer bag and rolling pin
Use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter between the cases to get even cakes.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3 Place 12 cases in your muffin tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light a fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add 1 egg, 1 third of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. Remove from the oven and cool in the tins for 10 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack
- For the icing: Place the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk in a large bowl and mix using an electric whisk for about 5 minutes.
- If you would like the buttercream pastel colours, divide into three and colour pink, yellow and blue with a touch of colour paste.
- Take the pink Love Hearts out of a packet of Love Hearts and crush them to powder with a rolling pin, then fold it into the pink icing, do the same with the yellow and white love hearts for the blue topped cakes (you can mix up colours and flavours).
- With a palette knife, spread the icing over the tops of the cooled cakes, decorate with sprinkles and using the other packet of love hearts add one to the top of each cake.