Blueberry and coconut pancakes
Prep time:(plus standing time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Gluten-free and dairy free, these blueberry and coconut pancakes mean that everyone can enjoy pancakes this Pancake Day. They're just as lovely as a weekend brunch option too
- 55g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 60g quinoa flour
- 1tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 160g coconut milk
- 30g natural sweetener like Sweet Freedom
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g blueberries plus extra to serve
- Rapeseed oil or coconut oil, to cook
For the syrupy orange topping:
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 225ml orange Juice
- 60g natural sweetener (or to taste)
- Segments of 4 large oranges
It's best just to cook one pancake initially to test that the frying pan is at the right temperature - it really needs to be at a medium heat; too hot and the base will scorch before the middle is ready.
- For the pancakes, blitz the desiccated coconut in a food processor for 2-3 minutes. Add to a large bowl along with the quinoa flour and baking powder and mix together. Whisk in the coconut milk, egg, sweetener and vanilla extract until it forms a thick batter. Now leave the batter to stand for 20-30 minutes during which time it will thicken. Finally stir in the blueberries.
- Heat a frying pan and lightly grease with the oil. Using a dessert spoon, pour one spoonful of the batter onto the pan and quickly spread the mixture out slightly with the back of the spoon. When the pancake is golden brown on the bottom and the top is beginning to set, carefully flip it over with a large palette knife. Gently press the pancake down onto the pan with the palette knife and cook until golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep warm whilst you cook the remaining pancakes - grease the pan between each batch and leave plenty of room between the pancakes to make it easier to flip them over.
- To make the syrupy oranges, place the orange zest, sweetener and orange juice in a pan and boil until syrupy. Keep warm and just before serving add the orange segments.
- Serve the pancakes with the syrupy oranges and some fresh blueberries.