Winter garden gratin
- 2 leeks (about 400g), cut into thick slices, washed well
- 200g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if large
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 good tsp ready-made English mustard
- 125g mixed Gruyère and Cheddar cheeses, grated
- About 30g fresh breadcrumbs (from 1 slice of bread)
This can be made with kale and cauliflower, if you prefer
- Add the leeks and sprouts to a large pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and cook for 2 mins. Drain and refresh under cold water. Leave to drain.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, sprinkle in the flour and stir to make a paste. Cook for a couple of mins. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring, to make a smooth sauce. Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the mustard and just over half of the cheese.
- Put the leeks and sprouts into a flameproof dish. Pour over the sauce, mix in lightly, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and then the crumbs. Put the dish on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins or until browned on top. Speed this up, if you like, by putting it under the grill — but watch it doesn’t burn.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 220(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.